Thursday, May 31, 2012

Guest blogger from Wisconsin: Chad

Guest Blogger: Chad

I can't keep my eyes open because I've been up for 36 hours.  For some random reason my plane was delayed in Chicago (despite having beautiful weather), which backed everything up.  I originally had a 2 hour layover in Amsterdam, but because of the delay I ended up only having a half hour to go through customs and security, so my bags didn't make it.  

Then I came out of the baggage claim in Madrid and Rebecca was standing there waiting for me, which was a big relief because I didn't know how I would find her.   

Chad arriving in Madrid's Barajas
Rebecca was well-prepared with the camera...

This is Rebecca now.  Chad's just fallen asleep (understandably) mid-sentence on the couch.  Seriously.  So I'll take over and finish up the day's summary.

We took the metro from the airport to my apartment, during which Chad explained his baggage status to me.  The airport in Amsterdam took down my cell and landline numbers here in Spain, as well as my address.  Chad said they told him they would deliver his luggage to my apartment here in Madrid within the next day or two -- sweet!

My amazing roommates had left us lunch, so we ate before heading out to explore the city.

We first walked to one of my schools that I work at, and then we took the metro to Retiro Park.

Retiro Park

While in the park, we stumbled upon a weird art exhibit near the crystal palace.



On our way out of the park, we stopped for photos in front of Puerta de Alcalá, one of Madrid's landmarks.

Puerta de Alcalá

We continued walking down calle (street) Alcalá until we reached downtown Sol.  We stopped for some cañas and jamón (ham) at Museo de jamón.

Museo de jamón

We walked through Plaza Mayor and had sangria at a market before reaching the Catedral de la Almudena (Almudena Cathedral), which has a much more colorful ceiling than I remembered.

Catedral de la Almudena

Catedral de la Almudena

We walked past the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) and through its gardens before checking out Plaza de España.   We were both tired from all the walking (and sun -- Madrid's high was 95 today), so we took the metro back to my apartment.

At some point during the afternoon I received a text from Chad's airlines that said his luggage was being put on the next flight to Madrid.

Chad's now stirring.  He woke up and we ate dinner around 9.45.  It's now 10.40 and we're heading to bed because tomorrow we plan to take a day trip to Segovia.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get yout toreador outfit yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun to read Rebecca! Sounds like you two are having fun! I look forward to more blogs!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete