Monday, January 30, 2012

SpanAir Magic: Disappearing before your very eyes

Some big news this week in Spain is that SpanAir, a Spanish airline, has stopped all of its flights due to financial circumstances.

If you try to go to their website, you will see the following message:



It basically says that as of January 27, the company has stopped all operations.  Just out of nowhere, poof, they're done.

Its last flight was this past Friday night.  In the CNN article I linked to above, it quotes the following statement from SpanAir: "Because of a lack of visible financing in the next couple of months, the company has chosen to case the operation of its flights as a prudent and secure measure, and it will now take all legal pertinent measures."

Luckily I wasn't out traveling anywhere, so I'm not stranded in an airport as some travelers were.  In fact, I don't have any travel plans until the end of February when we have an ultimate frisbee tournament in the Canary Islands.

Canary Islands. Islands. That means flight.

Let's see, I bought my plane tickets for this tournament back in December.  From Madrid to Las Palmas I'm flying on RyanAir. Phew, we're safe.

And my return ticket I bought from, uhh, oh dear.  You guessed it: SpanAir.

NOOOOOO!

It was a pretty expensive ticket, too, because we wanted to leave later that Sunday night so as not to miss the end of the tournament.  I have no idea how to get a refund for the ticket, and I'd better find a new one asap through another airline.

Oh Spain.  Always so full of surprises. And magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment